Sometimes i just want to throw all things together in a pot and get something nice to eat. This Moong and cabbage rice is exactly that, a one pot recipe filled with deliciousness.
These days whenever we have friends over for dinner or lunch, i make this moong and cabbage rice instead of a pulao. It is easy, simple and one pot 🙂
The secret to this recipe you ask?? nothing..every time i cook this, i use whatever ingredients i have on my hand on that day or what my stomach fancies !!! Its that versatile a recipe, and makes a humble vegetable like cabbage tasty.
I have used left over rice (from previous night) in this recipe, but one can easily use freshly cooked rice for this recipe. Also this recipe can be tweaked in many ways, depending on what ingredients are available at home.
Different ways to make it more tasty and healthy:
- To make this version healthy, you use cooked broken wheat or brown rice.
- I have added peanuts, but to make it luxurious, use cashew nuts and walnuts.
- I have also added capsicum and carrots to it to make it colourful, you could add green onions, potatoes, peas etc
- Masalas : anything that you have on hand, a bit of garam masala at the end and the aroma is fabulous.
- Protein: I have added cooked moong , you can use kabuli channa or black channa or even cooked rajma. Another intersting idea would be to add mixed sprouts as garnish to add texture to the rice.
If you are in a mood for some thing simple, serve this with cucumber raita or plain curd else serve this with channa masala or rajma or even kali dal.
Here are some more rice recipes to make :